The former Ndola International Airport was originally set up as a Military base for the Royal Air Force (England). It was built in 1938 to service the British army during the Second World War and was only converted into a civilian Airport in the 1950s. It is located approximately 3 kilometers south of the Ndola City central business district. The terminal building structure has been left intact with a few ancillary buildings added.
In fact, this structure is dominated by Niston Huts, Typical of Military structures. Plans are however underway to build a modern structure. The Airport has a 2.5 km runway with a width of 46 meters and one secondary runway which is 1.2 km long and parallel to the main runway. There is also a parallel taxiway on the northern side of the runway. The main runway can land aircraft of up to a maximum of a DC 10.